Sunday, September 28, 2008

ribbon of darkness




i headed out west for a nice ride last night. out to malcom and up to branched oak, but i timed it a bit late and it was getting dark really fast on my way back. as i crossed I-80 on hwy 55a, i stopped to put my lights on. looking out and seeing the 18-wheelers, and riding back as the darkness came, i started singing to myself, as i sometimes do when i ride alone. it was an old marty robbins tune, ribbon of darkness. i've had a fondness for his music that i didn't realize until i came to lincoln to go to UNL (and that was a long time ago, man i'm getting old). it was the fall of '87 and i was a freshman and living the dorms. this one guy down the hall who was a farmboy from michigan had a cassette of old school 'truck driving' music. he was playing it one time and a few marty robbins tunes came on. surprisingly i knew the words. it took me back to when i was growing up in scottsbluff (in western nebraska for those who think it's in wyoming). there wasn't much variety in radio stations out there. besides one top-40 station the rest was pretty much just country. i do like some country music, but only the old stuff. when i was like 7 or 8 i went with my family to the county fair which was held at the mitchell fairgrounds. i was with my brothers and sisters trying out the bumper cars and other attractions at the carnival, but the whole time i could hear some music. nearby in the open air arena there was a concert going on and it was marty robbins who was playing. my mom and dad were at the concert and i remember them saying they really enjoyed it. ever since then a marty robbins tune will pop in my head out of nowhere, usually it's while i'm riding a bike.

12 comments:

gravy said...

Hmmm... Big Iron on His Hip, Up in Alaska, Mexican Girl from El Paso, Cool Water...

I was a gun ballad freak as a kid.

Lizzy Bean said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Marty Robbins. My dad used to sing it to me when I was little...everytime I hear him now it reminds me of my pops. Good stuff, Conrad.

c_c_rider said...

el paso is my fav. there was a version that appeared on a steve martin comedy special in '80 i think. it's an almost forgotten gem.

c_c_rider said...

also check out this performance from the mid 50's, an early version of the song 'feleena'.

c_c_rider said...

marty loved old mexican songs too.

Lizzy Bean said...

"Singing the Blues" has always been my favorite. It reminds me so much of my pops. :)

How's Lincoln? I miss it there. :(

Adrian_O said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adrian_O said...

CC-RIDER - La Paloma is a Cuban song. You should know that. Here's an old Mexican song by Vicente Fernandez

c_c_rider said...

your right, it's obviously cuban, my bad. but he was influenced by mexican and other latin music. do you know this old tune?

c_c_rider said...

ofourse... el rey is a classic, but kind of machista though, eh? you don't serenade kim with that song do you? ja ja

Adrian_O said...

She knows who 'El Rey' is.

m e l i g r o s a said...

wow, que bonito sunset.